Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Perfect Match: Orange Chocolate Chiffon Cake

The best foods always come in pairs.

Burger and Fries. Steak and Wine. Strawberries and Cream. Green Tea & Red Bean.

Orange and Chocolate is possibly one of the most unique but constantly undermined flavor pairings. With a day free of school because of snow (yay) I decided to whip up something light and tasty to battle the cold. Chocolate is a definite must when it comes to bringing anyone out of the winter blues.

I've tried making an Orange Chiffon cake before. This time, I decided to give it a twist by taking two cups of batter and adding it to a rich chocolate mixture (1/3 cup cocoa, 2 tbsp of corn oil, 2 tbsp of hot water, 3 tbsp of sugar). Then I created a marble effect by dolloping alternating batter into the tube pan.

The result was a light airy sponge cake with a slightly crunchy exterior  With the sweet tangy orange flavor juxtaposing against the rich dark chocolate, it was a match made in heaven. A cup of hot bubbling cocoa completed my afternoon as I curled up on the couch and watched Food Network TV.

 





2 comments: